We are proud to have had the opportunity to provide comments to USDA on President Biden’s Executive Order on Tackling the Climate Crisis at Home and Abroad. We believe that the USDA has the opportunity to develop agricultural solutions, centered on rural Americans, that can deliver enormous economic and environmental benefits. These include:
- Ecosystem services as part and parcel of production systems that can bring farmers,
- ranchers, and foresters revenue and economic development to their communities;
- Countervailing forces to the global concentration in agriculture and food systems;
- Increased opportunities for current farmers, ranchers, and foresters, new farmers, ranchers, and foresters, and the Americans historically dispossessed of their land.
We know that American farmers, ranchers, and foresters are best positioned to lead America’s response to the climate crisis. I also know that no one has a monopoly on good ideas and approaches. We need:
- Republican and Democratic solutions
- Public policy and supply chain resources
- Local and global strategies
- Domestic and international markets
But most importantly, farmers, ranchers, and foresters in every state must be in the driver’s seat developing and implementing agricultural solutions to the climate crisis. Unleashing the power of rural America is one of the very best and fastest ways to keep the world from warming above 2 degrees Celsius.